Sri Lanka Sustainable Energy Authority (SLSEA) has issued a tender notice for hiring consultants to carry out a pre-feasibility study to implement rooftop solar systems on government buildings.
The last date for the submission of bids is December 9, 2020. The time given for the completion of the study is four months. The tender noted that the bidding proposal should be within a ceiling of 500,000 Sri Lankan Rupee (~$ 2,701).
To participate in the bidding process, the consultant should have prior experience in international power projects, preferably renewable.
This is part of the project where $100 million credit line facility is provided by the Government of India.
According to the tender document, SLSEA will utilize the $100 million credit line facility to implement three segments of projects:
- Rooftop solar systems on government buildings – $85 million
- Floating solar pilot projects – $5 million
- Rooftop solar systems with battery storage for low-income households – $10 million
In the first phase of the project, SLSEA is expected to implement the rooftop solar systems on government buildings. The successful bidder is expected to carry out a techno-feasibility study for this project.
The scope of work includes conducting studies of similar rooftop solar projects implemented by the Government of Sri Lanka on at least ten buildings. The successful bidder is expected to provide a report on the overall economic model for the project and techno-economic aspects such as energy yields, generation capacity, and project implementation cost. Besides that, the report should also include details of financial models to be employed to repay the debt.
Based on the findings, the bidder would be required to estimate the debt service adequacy of cost savings. In all, 75% of the contract price would be supplied from India, and the remaining 25% of goods and services can be procured from Sri Lanka.
Last year, Sri Lanka’s Sustainable Energy Authority, part of the country’s Ministry of Power, Energy and Business Development, floated two expressions of interest for domestic and foreign companies to develop solar projects of 10 MW capacity with 20% energy storage systems. The projects were to be developed under a joint venture with the SEA at the Hambantota Solar Energy Park.
Image Credit: CC
Harsh is a staff reporter at Mercom India. Previously with Indian Express, he has covered general interest stories. He holds a Masters Degree in Journalism from Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication, Pune.