India’s Solar Market Share Leaders for First Half of 2018 Revealed

India’s solar installations recorded in the first half (1H) of calendar year 2018 totaled almost 5 GW and the country’s total installed capacity has exceeded 25 GW.

Large-scale solar installations (1 MW+) accounted for the bulk of total installations in 1H 2018, making up about 84 percent of the total 4,138 MW installed. The remaining 16 percent of installations recorded were for rooftop solar, totaling 805 MW. Rooftop installations grew by 55 percent year-over-year (YoY) with cumulative installations totaling nearly 2,410 MW as of June 2018.

Mercom India’s newly released India Solar Market Leaderboard 1H 2018  reveals the industry’s leaders as well as their market share and shipment rankings across the Indian solar supply chain.

“While some of the larger companies maintained their leadership position, we saw some new faces on the leaderboard in 1H 2018 – which means there is healthy competition in the market,” said Raj Prabhu, CEO of Mercom Capital Group.

India’s Solar Market Share Leaders for First Half of 2018 Revealed

                          Full list of market share leaders available here

According to the report, in 1H 2018 the top 10 large-scale developers accounted for 55 percent market share with all others making up the remaining 45 percent. There were also approximately 300 utility-scale project developers in the country with projects of at least 5 MW or more in operation.

In 1H 2018, the top 10 installers made up only 27 percent of all rooftop projects installed in India, leaving all other rooftop developers with 73 percent of the share, a reflection of the fragmented nature of the market.

Adani remained the largest project developer in terms of total cumulative installations in 1H 2018, as well as the top installer in terms of capacity installed through the end of 1H 2018.

Sterling and Wilson was the top EPC company cumulatively and in 1H 2018.

There are around 70 large-scale project developers with a pipeline of 5 MW or more in India. ReNew Power had the largest project pipeline at the end of 1H 2018.

Cumulative rooftop solar installations in India totaled over 2.4 GW at the end of June 2018, representing 10 percent of the country’s total installed solar capacity. Tata Power Solar had the largest cumulative rooftop portfolio, and CleanMax emerged as the top rooftop installer in 1H 2018.

ABB leads the solar inverter market in India. As of 1H 2018, ABB remained at the top of the list in terms of solar inverter shipments to India. Central inverters are more favored over string inverters by developers, which is central inverters accounted for approximately 90 percent of the total shipments, while string inverters accounted for 10 percent cumulatively.

In 1H 2018, the top five module suppliers accounted for over 37 percent of the market. At the end of June 2018, Trina Solar was the leading module supplier to India in terms of cumulative shipments while ZnShine was the top supplier in 1H 2018.

There are over 50 suppliers of solar mounting structures active in the Indian market, the top supplier was Ganges Internationale.

There are over 30 suppliers of solar trackers active in the Indian market. As of June 2018, approximately 4 GW of trackers have been supplied for project development. NEXTracker and Artech Solar lead the pack with cumulative shipments. L&T was the top supplier in 1H 2018.

 

For a full list of market share leaders and comprehensive report, visit here

Image credit: Flickr

Sampath KrishnaSampath has been part of the Mercom India research and news team since the company’s inception. He currently oversees all data and research relating to news published on the MercomIndia.com platform. Sampath received his Bachelor’s of Commerce Degree from Kuvempu University and Post Graduate Diploma in Management, from Indira Gandhi National Open University. More articles from Sampath Krishna.