India's Solar Installations Rise in Q1 2022 to 3 GW

India installed over 3 GW of solar capacity in the first quarter (Q1) of the calendar year (CY) 2022, a quarter-over-quarter (QoQ) increase of 21% compared to 2.6 GW installed in the previous quarter. On a year-over-year (YoY) basis, installations rose by 50% from the 2 GW installed in the same period last year.

The latest installation data was revealed in Mercom’s newly released report – Q1 2022 India Solar Market Update.

In Q1 2022, India installed 2.7 GW of large-scale solar, a QoQ increase of 23% compared to 2.2 GW installed in the previous quarter and up 53% YoY compared to 1.7 GW installed in the same period last year.

Large-scale solar accounted for 85% of the installations, and rooftop accounted for the remaining 15% during the reporting period. India’s cumulative installed solar capacity now stands at 52 GW.



India has a utility-scale projects development pipeline of over 54 GW.

India added 4.6 GW of total power capacity during the quarter, with most new installations coming from solar power. Solar accounted for 68% of new power capacity during the quarter, the largest share of new power generation captured by solar in any given quarter.

India Solar Installations (MW)

Rajasthan became the first state to cross 10 GW of cumulative large-scale solar installations at the end of March 2022. The state accounts for 24% of the total installations in the country.

Rajasthan and Gujarat were the top states for solar during the quarter, accounting for 52% and 18% of installations, respectively, followed by Karnataka with 6%.

There is still a lot of ambiguity around projects impacted by the Great Indian Bustard (GIB). To protect the critically endangered bird, the Supreme Court said that transmission lines running through the priority areas of the GIB need to be either underground or have bird diverters installed.

A committee has been formed to review cases individually and provide feedback to the apex court. This process is taking time and will likely affect project development this year.

“The uncertainty around the Great Indian Bustard case in Rajasthan is the only issue standing in the way of 2022 being another record year for solar installations. Everything depends on the Supreme Court ruling and how quickly it is resolved. A little push from the government can help India surpass the 60 GW large-scale solar installation target set for 2022, which will be a great achievement,” said Raj Prabhu, CEO of Mercom Capital Group.

According to the report, while 2021 was the most significant year for the Indian solar industry, with over 10 GW of installations, 2022 is slated to be an even stronger year.

India's Solar Capacity Q1 2022

Key Highlights from Mercom India Research’s Q1 2022 India Solar Market Update:

  • In Q1 2022, India added over 3 GW of solar capacity, a 21% increase compared to 2.6 GW installed in Q4 2021.
  • Large-scale solar accounted for 86% of the installations, and rooftop solar for the remaining 14%.
  • India’s cumulative installed solar capacity now stands at 52 GW.
  • In Q1 2022, renewable energy sources accounted for about 81% of new power capacity additions.
  • Solar made up for 68% of new power capacity added during the quarter.
  • In Q1 2022, Rajasthan and Gujarat were the top states for solar installations.
  • Rajasthan became the first state to cross 10 GW of cumulative large-scale solar PV installations.

Mercom’s India Solar Q1 2022 report is 116 pages and covers all facets of India’s solar market. For the complete report, visit:  https://mercomindia.com/product/q1-2022-india-solar-market-update