The Gujarat Alkalies and Chemicals Limited (GACL) announced that the company had commissioned 20 MW (AC) of solar power projects at Charanka in Gujarat.
In a filing on the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), the company said, “In continuation of our earlier disclosures made on the above subject vide our letters dated February 7, 2018, and June 1, 2019, we would like to further update you that remaining 12.5 MW solar power project was commissioned on September 16, 2019.”
With this, the commissioning of the entire 20 MW solar installation in a phased manner at Charanka, is completed. Thus, total installed capacity of solar projects now stands increased to 35 MW.”
Speaking to Mercom, a senior official of GACL said, “There is still a possibility of 2 MW installation in DC capacity, and we’re exploring ways to deploy at least 1 MW each of rooftop solar power project in two of our complexes— Vadodara and Dahej.”
In the first phase, in 2018, GACL commissioned 15 MW of capacity. The project was entirely for the company’s Vadodara complex.
In its second phase, it commissioned the present 20 MW capacity of the solar project.
Explaining the technical distribution of the project, the senior official said that out of the 20 MW project, 70% (14 MW) would go to Dahej and the remaining 30% (6MW) will be allotted to their Vadodara complex.
“Out of the total of 35 MW, Vadodara complex now has a cumulative capacity of 21 MW of solar power project. As per the policy of the state government, we cannot install more than 50% of the contracted capacity meant only for the captive purpose,” the official added.
Mercom recently reported that the Gujarat government has relaxed the state’s solar policy to allow micro, small, and medium enterprises (MSME) to install solar projects that are over 100% of their sanctioned load or contract demand. Earlier, the Gujarat Solar Policy (2015) allowed commercial and industrial clients to install only 50% of their sanctioned load.
In August 2019, the Gujarat Electricity Regulatory Commission passed an order allowing Gujarat Urja Vikas Nigam Limited (GUVNL) and other distribution companies in the state to procure power from small solar projects of capacity up to 4 MW to meet their renewable purchase obligation.
Anjana is a news editor at Mercom India. Before joining Mercom, she held roles of senior editor, district correspondent, and sub-editor for The Times of India, Biospectrum and The Sunday Guardian. Before that, she worked at the Deccan Herald and the Asianlite as chief sub-editor and news editor. She has also contributed to The Quint, Hindustan Times, The New Indian Express, Reader’s Digest (UK edition), IndiaSe (Singapore-based magazine) and Asiaville. Anjana holds a Master’s degree in Geography from North Bengal University, and a diploma in mass communication and journalism from Guru Ghasidas University, Bhopal.