Delhi’s BSES Commissions Four Solar Microgrids with Battery Energy Storage

BSES Yamuna Power Limited (BYPL) has commissioned four solar photovoltaic (PV) microgrids in East Delhi as part of a pilot project. With this, the BYPL has become one of the first distribution companies (DISCOMs) to achieve the milestone in an urban setting.

The solar PV microgrids were set up in partnership with Panasonic. To assess the system performance of the microgrid pilot and to popularize the concept, the DISCOM has tied-up with the Council on Energy, Environment, and Water (CEEW).

Under the pilot project, solar PV projects of sizes between 5 kW and 7 kW and with battery energy storage between 7 -10 kWh was set up. According to the BYPL, the locations used only 8 percent of grid power, with the remaining 92 percent from solar PV.

On an annualized basis, the pilot project can save around 1,245 liters of diesel and 0.24 million units of electricity amounting to around ₹2 million (~$0.03 million). Additionally, it can also reduce around 205 tons of carbon emission per annum. BYPL can save up to 62 million units of electricity and 51,000 tons of emission on a pan-DISCOM roll-out of 1,000 such installations.



According to a BSES spokesperson, “ With an aim to increase the penetration of renewable energy, reduce carbon footprint and to help our consumers reduce their electricity bills, BSES is going higher in the renewable energy value chain. The energization of the microgrids is a testimonial to these efforts. The installation of microgrid applications as part of its green division initiative would act as a showcase for our customers to adopt and help in preserving the environment through a reduction in carbon footprint.”

A similar roll-out is planned for South and West Delhi areas.

Mercom had previously reported on how mini and microgrids can create a win-win situation for the consumers, the government and for the renewable energy industry, which can tap into this large market.

The MNRE realizes the importance of the role renewable energy-based mini and microgrids are going to play in India, and the Ministry aims to set up a minimum of 10,000 renewable energy-based micro and mini-grids across India with an estimated capacity of 500 MW.

Renewable energy-based mini and microgrids can be extremely beneficial for India. It can help the country power its rural population as the national grid is yet to reach far-flung areas. The government needs to push this initiative forward with subsidies, cross-subsidies and incentives to make reliable 24×7 power for all a reality.

Image credit: Standard Solar

Saumy Prateek Saumy is a senior staff reporter with MercomIndia.com covering business and energy news since 2016. Prior to Mercom, Saumy was a copy editor at Thomson Reuters. Saumy earned his Bachelors Degree in Journalism & Mass Communication from the Manipal Institute of Communication at Manipal University. More articles from Saumy Prateek.