The Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA) has floated a tender for 900 MW of solar photovoltaic (SPV) projects based on the Independent Power Project (IPP) model.
The projects fall under the fifth phase of Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park which is in Seih Al-Dahal, located south of the city of Dubai.
The deadline to submit the bids is August 22, 2019. The winning bidder will own 40% of the company operating the project while DEWA will own the remaining 60%.
The successful bidder must sign an agreement with DEWA to procure the power generated over 25 years. In total, 64 companies have submitted their letters of intent (LoI) for the tender. The project will be commissioned in stages starting from the second quarter of 2021.
“DEWA is working to transform Dubai into a global hub for clean energy and green economy, to make it the city with the lowest carbon footprint in the world. Meeting the clean energy objectives requires a capacity of 42,000 MW of clean and renewable energy by 2050. To achieve our vision to become a globally leading sustainable, innovative corporation, we are working to establish sustainability as the roadmap that secures a brighter and happier future for Dubai, by launching major world-class initiatives and projects in green development,” said HE Saeed Mohammed Al Tayer, MD and CEO of DEWA.
This tender contributes to the ‘Dubai Clean Energy Strategy 2050’ according to which Dubai will receive at least 75% of its total energy from renewable energy sources by the year 2050. The solar park is currently the biggest single-site solar park in the world. The investment is predicted to be nearly AED 50 billion ($13.6 billion) by 2030 with an installed capacity of 5,000 MW by the same date.
The operation of the first phase started in the year 2013 with a solar capacity of 13 MW and the second phase of the park witnessed another 200 MW of solar installations. The third phase would consist of 800 MW of solar projects and is likely to begin operations by 2020. The fourth phase of the park with 950 MW capacity is the biggest single-site concentrated solar power project in the world at present. Three technologies are being utilized in this phase of the project: 250 MW from photovoltaic panels: 100 MW from a solar tower, and 600 MW from a parabolic basin.
Mercom reported in February 2019 about DEWA issuing a request for qualification for 900 MW of solar PV projects located within the Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park.
Earlier this year, DEWA and Saudi Arabia’s ACWA Power and the Silk Road Fund declared closure for a 950 MW solar park project under the fourth phase of the Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park.
Recently, DEWA also issued a request for proposal to assign consultants to understand, develop, and construct floating solar photovoltaic projects in the Arabian Gulf.
Ramya Ranganath is an Associate Editor and Writer for Mercom Communications India. Before joining Mercom, Ramya worked as a Senior Editor at a digital media supply chain solutions company. Throughout her career, she has developed end-to-end content for various companies in a wide range of domains, including renewables. Ramya holds a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering from M.S. Ramaiah Institute of Technology and is passionate about environmental issues and permaculture.