Clean Energy Access Network (CLEAN) has issued a request for proposal (RfP) inviting Lithium Ion technology providers and mini-grid developers to develop a pilot project to demonstrate lithium ion technology for mini-grids in India. The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) will be funding the pilot project. The bid-submission deadline is October 30, 2017.
CLEAN has mandated that the bidding company (or parent company) should be a manufacturer of Lithium Ion batteries. For the pilot project, CLEAN is looking for mini-grids in the range of 15-20 kW, generating 80-100 kWh of energy per day.
To assess the site selection for the pilot project, prospective mini-grid developers need to share data with the CLEAN team and the potential lithium ion technology provider.
If the CLEAN mini-grid bidder is designating an entire new site based on the capacity mentioned above, cost sharing for the battery system will be conducted in the following manner:
- Equivalent battery cost of traditional batteries will be shared by the mini-grid company. This will be validated by CLEAN and the Lithium Ion battery provider.
- The balance of the cost for the system will be shared as follows: CLEAN (50%), mini-grid developer (30%), lithium ion battery technology provider (20%).
- The ownership of the battery system will entirely rest with mini-grid developer. The idea of the pilot is to demonstrate the benefits of lithium ion technology to relevant stakeholders.
The scope of work is divided between CLEAN, the lithium ion battery provider, and the mini-grid developer in the following manner:
- Planning, Liasoning, and Coordination with the mini grid player and battery provider.
- Collection of data from mini-grid developer.
- Liable to make final payment to battery provider.
Mini Grid Developer
- The ownership of the battery system will entirely rest with mini-grid developer.
- Erection of the site equipment including batteries and peripherals.
- The idea of the pilot is to demonstrate the benefits of Lithium Ion technology relevant stakeholders. For this purpose, the project operational data (load, type of load, site conditions, back-up time) sharing will be required from mini-grid developer.
Lithium Ion Technology Provider
- Design, engineering, and deployment of battery systems.
- Equipment and manpower for Integration & Testing (on returnable basis)
- Supervision of System Integration/Commissioning & Testing at Site
Image Credit: By Mk2010 (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0], via Wikimedia Commons
Saumy is a senior staff reporter with MercomIndia.com covering business and energy news since 2016. Prior to Mercom, Saumy was a copy editor at Thomson Reuters. Saumy earned his Bachelors Degree in Journalism & Mass Communication from the Manipal Institute of Communication at Manipal University. More articles from Saumy Prateek.